Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Facebook, AGAIN...Please Forgive Me

Okay, given that I have not done too many real blog posts of late, I hope you forgive me if I once more vent about Facebook. As anyone who reads this blog well knows, I have repeatedly complained about changes the social networking site has made the past few years. Most recently I posted about the changes Facebook made to user profiles and to fan pages. Now I have yet another complaint against a change made by Facebook, which like other recent changes have reduced the usability of the site. Namely, now one submits his or her comments by hitting the enter key on one's keyboard.

On the surface, this might not sound like a bad idea. After all, wouldn't it be easier to simply hit "Enter" on one's keyboard than press a submit button? For brief comments that might be fine, but if you are like most of my friends and myself, you like to have paragraphs, which could once be created by hitting "Enter."  Unfortunately, hitting "Enter" will now submit one's comment rather than create a new paragraph, thus forcing one to comment again if he or she wants to add anything in another paragraph!

Fortunately, unlike the changes to both the profiles and the pages, there is a work around to this problem. One can create page breaks in comments, thus allowing for paragraphs, by hitting "shift + enter (well, on PCs anyway...)." Granted, this is not as easy as hitting "enter" to create a new paragraph, but it is better than not being able to create paragraphs at all. At any rate, perhaps with some luck and by some miracle Facebook will do away with having one hit "Enter" to submit comments and put the pages and profiles back to the way they once were. Sadly, I rather suspect they won't.

No comments: