Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"Run to Me" Performed by Material Issue

Tonight this has been going through my head over and over and over again. It is a cover of The Bee Gees' song "Run to Me" by Material Issue. The original version was the first single from The Bee Gees' album To Whom It May Concern. It reached #9 on the UK charts and #16 on the U.S. charts. Material Issue recorded their version of the song for the 1994 tribute album to The Bee Gees, Melody Fair.

"Run to Me" is quite possibly my favourite song by The Bee Gees and I believe it is the most romantic song they ever recorded.  After all, the singer essentially telling the object of his desire to run to him any time she has a problem. In other words, he is pledging to be her knight in shining armour. For me the fact that The Bee Gees could record this sort of song (as well as much of their early work, such as "New York Mining Disaster 1941") makes their descent into disco all the more sad for me.

Anyhow, without further ado, here is Material Issue's version of "Run to Me."

1 comment:

Jim Marquis said...

I'm so old I remember buying a 45 of that song.