Saturday, July 16, 2011

Doctor Who and Rose: "Run to Me"

Those of you who are familiar with Doctor Who know that ever since the show debuted in 1963, The Doctor has been accompanied by a number of companions, most of whom have been young and female. And while most of The Doctor's companions have been very attractive, The Doctor never once fell in love with any of them--that is, until Rose Tyler.

Played by singer and actress Billie Piper, Rose was The Doctor's first companion when the show was revived in 2005. As the series progressed it became readily apparent that Rose was in love with The Doctor. In fact, she was the first companion to ever express the desire to remain with him for the rest of her life. And even given The Doctor's tendency to play his cards close to his vest, it would eventually become apparent The Doctor was in love with Rose too. To me the romance (platonic though it was) between The Doctor and Rose is one of the great romances in the history of English language television.

It is for that reason I decided to create a music video which uses clips from Doctor Who centred on their relationship. The song I used is "Run to Me" by power pop band Material Issue. The song was originally recorded by The Bee Gees for their album To Whom It May Concern and released as a single from that album in April 1972. Material Issue recorded their version for The Bee Gees tribute album Melody Fair, released in 1994.

Here I must point out that this is the first video I have ever edited (I studied to become a director, not an editor). I did it on a compute with barely enough memory to handle video editing (I really need to upgrade my RAM) and using Windows Movie Maker at that (not the best tool for editing video). I then apologise if the quality isn't always what it should be!

Here, then, without further ado, are The Doctor, Rose, and Material Issue with "Run to Me."

No comments: