Thursday, August 27, 2015

Congratulations to Debbie Reynolds!

I must confess that almost as far back as I can remember I have always had a crush on Debbie Reynolds. I'm not sure where I first encountered Miss Reynolds. It may have been on her short-lived sitcom on NBC or it may have been one of her many movies. Regardless, my heart has always beat a little faster any time I see her on the small or big screens. Indeed, as a boy I figured Eddie Fisher must have been crazy to have left Debbie Reynolds for Elizabeth Taylor. Okay, I learned soon enough that at the time Elizabeth Taylor was considered the "most beautiful woman in the world", but Debbie Reynolds was, well, Debbie Reynolds.

Given I have carried a torch for Debbie Reynolds for more years than I would like to remember, I was very happy to learn that she is receiving the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science's Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award at the seventh annual Governors Awards, which will be held November 14  at the Grand Ballroom at Hollywood and Highland in Los Angeles. Director Spike Lee and actress Gena Rowlands will also receive honorary Oscars.

Anyhow, congratulations to Debbie Reynolds! To celebrate here are a few pictures from her career.

Debbie Reynolds and  Donald O'Connor in a publicity still for I Love Melvin (1953)

Debbie enjoying the sun. I'm not sure when this photo was taken.
Debbie Reynolds circa 1959
A publicity shot of Marge Champion and Debbie Reynolds from Give a Girl a Break

1 comment:

Carissa (Regency Woman) said...

That's quite exciting for her! What great news!