Monday, June 5, 2017

Announcing the 4th Annual British Invaders Blogathon

Today I'm announcing the 4th Annual British Invaders Blogathon, a celebration of the best in British films, here at A Shroud of Thoughts.  While many people think of Hollywood when they think of classic movies, the fact is that the United Kingdom made many significant contributions to film over the years. From the Gainsborough melodramas to Hammer Films to the British New Wave, cinema would be much poorer without the British.  I've scheduled this year's British Invaders Blogathon  for August 4, August 5, and August 6.

Here are the ground rules for this year's blogathon:

1. Posts can be about any British film or any topic related to British films. For the sake of simplicity, I am using "British" here to refer to any film made by a company based in the United Kingdom or British Crown dependencies. If you want to write about a film made in Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man, then, you can do so. Also for the sake of simplicity, people can write about co-productions made with companies from outside the United Kingdom. For example, since 2001: A Space Odyssey is a British-American co-production, someone could write about it if they chose.

2. There is no limit on subject matter. You can write about any film in any genre you want. Posts can be on everything from the British New Wave to the Gainsborough bodice rippers to the Hammer Horrors. I am also making no limit on the format posts can take. You could review a classic British film, make an in-depth analysis of a series of British films, or even simply do a pictorial tribute to a film. That having been said, since this is a classic film blogathon,  I only ask that you write about films made before 1992. I generally don't think of a film as a classic until it has been around for thirty years, but to give bloggers more options I am setting the cut off point at twenty five years ago.

3. I am asking that there please be no duplicates. That having been said, if someone has already chosen to cover From Russia with Love (1963), someone else could write about another James Bond movie or even the James Bond series as a whole.

4. I am not going to schedule days for individual posts. All I ask is that the posts be made on or between August 4, August 5, or August 6.

5. On August 4 I will set up the page for the blogathon. I ask that you link your posts to that page.

If you want to participate in the British Invaders Blogathon, you can simply comment below or get a hold of me on Twitter at mercurie80 or at my email:  mercurie80 at gmail.com.

Below is a roster of participants and the topics they are covering. Come August 4 I will make a post that will include all of the posts in the blogathon:

The Filmatelist: "Swinging London British Films of 1966"

The Hitless Wonder Movie BlogDoctor Who and the Daleks (1965) and Daleks – Invasion Earth (1966)

The Stop Button: Kes (1969)

Cinematic Scribblings: Billy Liar (1963)

Caftan Woman: Innocent Sinners (1958)

The Wonderful World of Cinema: A Girl Must Live (1939)

Wide Screen World: The "Carry On" Films

Crítica RetrôHobson's Choice (1954)

Celluloid Hour: Brief Encounter (1945)

Realweegiemidget Reviews: An American Werewolf in London (1981)

In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood:I Know Where I'm Going (1945)

The Midnight Drive-InThe Glass Tomb (1955) and Five Day (1954)

Moon in Gemini: A Touch of Class (1973)

MovieMovieBlogBlog: Let It Be (1970)

Cinema Essentials: The Liquidator (1965)

Below are several banners for participants in the blogathon to use (or you can always make your own):











34 comments:

Dan Day, Jr. said...

Has anyone in the history of this blogathon covered the Dr. Who movies with Peter Cushing?

Terence Towles Canote said...

Believe it or not, I don't think anyone ever has!

Dan Day, Jr. said...

Then I'd like to take a crack at them.

Terence Towles Canote said...

I'll put you down for them then!

Erin said...

Could I write about Billy Liar? My blog is Cinematic Scribblings: https://cinematicscribblings.wordpress.com/ Thanks!

Terence Towles Canote said...

Erin, I have you down for it!

Caftan Woman said...

I'll have a go at Innocent Sinners (1958). I'm a Philip Leacock fan.

Terence Towles Canote said...

Caftan Woman, I have you down for it! Love Philip Leacock.

Virginie Pronovost said...

Hi Terence! I was about to forget to subscribe for this blogathon! Please put me down for A Girl Must Live (1939)! My blog is The Wonderful World of Cinema.
https://thewonderfulworldofcinema.wordpress.com/

I'm so glad this blogathon is back this year! :)

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Ginnie!

Rich said...

The Carry On films.
http://widescreenworld.blogspot.com

Terence Towles Canote said...

Rich, I got you down for it!

said...

Hi, Terence! I'd like to write about Hobson's Choice (1954), please!
Thanks and I'm happy this blogathon is back!
Cheers!
Le

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Lê!

Amanda said...

Hi Terence! I made my film blog and I'll get it up tomorrow (it's storming now, of course, so I'm getting offline) but I would love to write about Brief Encounter if it's still available! My blog is stanwycks.blogspot.com :)

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for Brief Encounter, Amanda!

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Hi, I'll be away then - can I use an old review (I've not added to blogathons before) and send you a link for it now. The film would be An American Werewolf in London (1981)?
From Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews
https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/

Terence Towles Canote said...

Gill, I put you down for it!

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Excellent x Will I add the review here for you?

Terence Towles Canote said...

Yes, Gil, please do! :-)

Realweegiemidget Reviews said...

Hi there again, here's my review for An American Werewolf in London, Good luck with the blogathon x https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/2016/09/05/american-werewolf/

Terence Towles Canote said...

Thanks, Gill!

Quiggy said...

I recently bought a DVD that has two Hammer Films produced film noir movies that has just been waiting for a blogathon, if its not too late to join. The Glass Tomb (1955) and Paid to Kill (1954) which was released in the UK as "Five Day".

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for them, Quiggy!

Debbie Vega said...

Hi, Terry! Sorry I missed this announcement when it first came out, but I'm glad I'm in time to join!

Please put me down for the 1973 movie A Touch of Class.

Thanks!

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Debra!

Steve Bailey said...

I recently caught a rare online "posting" of The Beatles documentary Let It Be. May I cover that for your blogathon?

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Steve!

Cinema Essentials said...

Hi. I would like to take part in the blogathon, with a post on The Liquidator (1965).

Terence Towles Canote said...

I got you down for it, Jay!

Steve Bailey said...

My entry for The Beatles' LET IT BE is now live at:

https://moviemovieblogblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/03/the-beatles-in-let-it-be-1970-and-in-the-end-2/

Cinema Essentials said...

Great. I'm also doing a post on The 39 Steps for a Hitchcock blogathon this weekend. Would you mind if I linked to that post as well? It seems like a good fit for your blogathon too.

Terence Towles Canote said...

Thanks, Steve!

Yes, Jay, go ahead and link to The 39 Steps post as well!

Erin said...

Here's my post: https://cinematicscribblings.wordpress.com/2017/08/03/a-day-in-the-lives-billy-liar-1963/ Thanks!